Chestnut and Kale Soup
Dark leafy green vegetables are still in season and continue to be top of the list to keep you vital and healthy for the next few weeks.
If you've been eating kale all winter and fancy a change try this Cavolo nero variety, rich, sweet, almost meaty flavour will have you hooked from the first bite and it is delicious in this traditional Italian kale and chestnut soup.
• 1/2 tin white beans such as cannellini,
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 (14-ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice
• 1 ½ pints stock
• 2 cups water
• 1 piece Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 8oz Chestnuts halved (vac packed)
• 1/2 pound cavolo nero or regular green kale, chopped
• 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
• Accompaniment: grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Fry onion, and garlic in oil in a wide 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add, beans, stock, water, cheese rind, salt, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Discard cheese rind and stir in chestnuts.
Transfer 2 cups soup to a blender and purée until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), then return to pot. Stir in kale and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until leaves are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in thyme.