Acupuncture for Digestive Symptoms
Evidence shows that a course of acupuncture improves common digestive symptoms such as pain, bloating, cramping, flatulence, diarrhoea and constipation. It also improves general wellbeing and in comparisons with drug treatments acupuncture has been found beneficial for a variety of gastrointestinal diseases including irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, nausea, acid reflux, gastritis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, reflux and pancreatitis.
Benefits of Acupuncture:
- Provides pain relief
- Regulates movement in the digestive tract
- Initiating the nervous systems 'rest and digest’ response
- Reduces inflammation
- Alters acid secretion
- Improves delayed gastric emptying
- Stimulates areas in the brain that are involved in gastric perception
- Helps reduce anxiety and depression that can result from digestive symptoms
Acupuncture can be safely and effectively combined with Western medicine, and other treatments such as relaxation exercises, herbal medicine and psychotherapy. In addition to offering acupuncture I often give my clients dietary advice that may be helpful in combating symptoms and support overall health.
What happens in an acupuncture treatment? And how does acupuncture work?
You can find answers to these questions here >